Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Afternoon in Paris Clipboard

I'm finally back in my studio again. I was on vacation at Myrtle Beach, SC. Myrtle Beach was great, the weather was beautiful and the beach was relaxing. It was the perfect vacation and then three days before the end of the vacation I came down with Strep Throat and a 102 degree F. fever. C'est domage! That's what it's like to be me!

Now that I'm back in my studio the first thing that I did was to finish a project that I started in March. The Afternoon in Paris clipboard is based on a project in Julie Nuttig's book Collage Couture. I came across this book while browsing in the bookstore. The Collage Couture is beautifully done- the pictures are inspiring and there is a step by step guide to completing projects shown in the book. I was inspired by the Japanese Garden clipboard. I could use a clipboard in my studio to corral stray notes. Just because clipboards are functional items why do they have to be plain and boring? For my project I chose a French theme (of course). I covered the clipboard in printed paper using the instructions on page 106 of the book. I drew a fashion figure using the instructions on page 10 of the book and added clothing. Next I used the Cricut to cut out the Eiffel Tower and the poodle. I added an inspirational quote and a butterfly to complete the clipboard.




Directions for Afternoon In Paris Clipboard:

Collage Couture by Julie Nuttig (available at Amazon or Barnes & Noble)
Lucite clipboard (available at Walmart)
K&Company Sera Sera Paper Pad- I used gold  and orange print paper and a scrap of blue print
K&Company Abrainna Paper Pad- blue and purple print paper- for figure's dress
Newspaper
Mod Podge
Foam brush
Butterfly- I used the Recollections gossamer butterfly from Michaels
Cricut cartridges- Summer in Paris and Paper Pups
White, gray, parchment, brown (for the figure's hair) and pale pink card stock
Tim Holtz Tea Dye and Tattered Rose distress ink
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist- Pearl, Cherry Blossom, Raven
Black Sharpie
Narrow blue ribbon
Recollections self stick gold beads
Piece of pink tulle
Decorative edge scissors

1.   Tear gold and orange print paper in pieces and apply to the clipboard following the directions on pages 106 and 107 of the book.

2.   Draw a fashion figure on tracing paper according to the instructions on page 6 in the book. Draw the clothing and the hair as directed in the book. I cut my figure out of news print. I tied a piece of pink tulle around the figure's waist as a belt.

3.  Cut a 6 1/2 inch Eiffel Tower out of pale pink card stock using the Cricut Summer in Paris cartridge.
Apply Tattered Rose distress ink randomly over the tower. Next apply Tea Dye distress ink around the bottom, top and sides of the tower. Lightly spray the tower with Cherry Blossom Glimmer Mist and let it dry. Lightly spray the tower with Raven Glimmer Mist and let it dry.

4.   Using the Cricut Paper Pups cartridge cut a poodle at 1 3/4 inches out of gray card stock. Next press the black out key and cut the poodle out of white card stock. Assemble the poodle and lightly spray with Pearl Glimmer Mist and set aside to dry. Use the Sharpie to color the poodle's nose and eye.

5.   Type the quote: Artists who seek perfection in everything are those who cannot attain it in anything. -Eugene Delacroix and print it on parchment card stock using the font and size of your choice. Cut the quote out using decorative scissors. Glue the quote on to a small piece of blue patterned card stock.

6.   Position the Eiffel Tower to the left hand side of the clipboard and glue in place using Modge Podge. Position the fashion figure in the center of the clipboard and glue in place using Modge Podge. Glue the quote to the right of the fashion figure's head. Glue the poodle to the right of the fashion figure's foot. Cut a piece of narrow blue ribbon and loop in around the figure's wrist and attach the other end behind the poodle. Place a small gold bead self stick bead around the wrist loop and at the top of the leash.

7.   Glue the butterfly to the clip. Cover the entire clipboard with a coat of Modge Podge to seal it.