Sunday, February 14, 2010

History As Art

I love history especially 18th century French History and I am always looking for ways to incorporate history into my art work. Since I've always been intrigued with Marie Antoinette I decided to do a project devoted the much maligned Queen of France.

I simply don't have the studio space to keep all of my finished projects so I often give them away. I would rather send the finished work off to someone who will display it rather than box it up and store it in my basement. My daughter Brittany asked her friend Mitch if he would like my Marie Antoinette project? Mitch is also intrigued with Marie Antoinette and knows even more about her than I do. He is such a fan of Marie Antoinette that he volunteered to take it sight unseen. I have enjoyed working on this project. Now that I'm finished I am going to miss Marie but I did promise to send this to Mitch and he is patiently waiting to receive it.




Here are the directions for the Marie Antoinette project:

Print a picture of Marie Antoinette on glossy photo paper. Mine was wallet size (2 1/2 by 3 1/2).

Cut a mat out of card stock 1/4 inch larger (on all sides) than the picture.

Cut a piece of white card stock 4 inches by 5 1/2 inches. Emboss the card stock using the embossing folder of your choice. I used Sizzix damask and medallions.

Cut another mat out of the same color card stock as the first mat making it 1/4 inch larger on all sides than the embossed white card stock.

Cut a piece of patterned paper 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches.

Using the Cricut Home Decor cartridge cut a 1 inch crown out of white card stock. Cover the card stock with glue and sprinkle gold micro beads over it. Shake off the excess and let it dry.

Using a small fleur de lys paper punch and gold textured paper punch four fleur de lys. Glue a small pearl in the center of each fleur de lys.

Glue the photo to the smaller mat. Then glue this to the embossed card stock. Glue this to the last mat. Attach the matted picture to the patterned paper using dimensional glue dots.

Glue the fleur de lys in the corners of the embossed mat. Make a small bow with purple ribbon and glue it to the top of the embossed mat, centering in between the fleur de lys.

Glue the crown to the patterned paper above the picture. Add small pearls to embellish the crown.

Trim the stems of three calla lilies and use one of the trimmed off pieces to wire the lilies together. Use a dimensional glue dot to attach the lilies to the of the embossed mat. Tie a bow with sheer white ribbon and use dimensional glue dots to attach the bow to the lilies.