Saturday, July 7, 2012

Skethchbook Makeover

Claude Monet once said that "Color is my day long obsession, joy and torment." Like Monet, I love color, it brings me joy. In fact one could say that I am obsessed with color, especially blue and purple. My gardens are filled with color and I spend a lot of time enjoying the symphony of color that my landscaping has created. Color inspires me so it is no coincidence that I chose a room with a direct view of my gardens for my studio.

Lately I have been giving the boring, mundane items in my studio a "face lift". Why can't functional items be colorful and inspiring? After reading Doodles Unleashed: Mixed Media Techniques For Doodling, Mark-Making & Lettering by Traci Bautista I decided to give my dull, boring sketchbook cover a make over. I was attracted to this book by it's bright cover and after leafing through the book I couldn't put it back on the shelf and walk away. I was inspired to try some of the projects. After reading the book I made some sketches and decided to follow Traci's instructions (she walks you step by step through the project) to turn my sketch into a cover for my new sketchbook. This is a book that everyone can use, even if you think that you can't draw or draw well. If after reading this book you are still convinced that you can't draw, downloads of Traci's images can be purchased from her website (www.treicdesigns.com).

Here's the work in progress!


Finished Sketchbook Cover


I had a lot of fun creating this sketchbook cover using Traci Baustista's images as inspiration for my drawing. This is a very forgiving project, you can't make a mistake. If you are looking for a fun project, then pick up a copy of Doodles Unleashed and let your creativity flow.

Directions for Sketchbook Face Lift:

Doodles Unleashed: Mixed-Media Techniques For Doodling Mark-Making & Lettering by Traci Bautista

Hardbound sketchbook

Gesso

Saral transfer paper

Modge Podge

Acrylic Paints

1.  Draw an image on drawing paper using a No. 2 pencil.

2.  Cover the sketchbook with gesso and let it dry. Apply a second coat and let it dry.

3. Using the techniques in Doodles Unleashed paint the background using acrylic paint. Set aside to dry.

4.  Transfer your drawing onto the cover of the sketchbook using Saral transfer paper. Again using the techniques described in Doodles Unleashed paint the image and set aside to dry. I outlined my finished image in black to enhance it.

5.  Seal the painted cover of the sketchbook with a light coat of Modge Podge and let it dry.