I'm always looking for inspiration for my projects. Sometimes the most ordinary things can be the most inspiring. Coco Chanel made a necklace using the paper clips that were laying on her desk. The inspiration for this wall hanging came from a shower curtain. I traced one of the frogs and two of the flowers from the shower curtain on to a piece of tracing paper to make a pattern. Although it may not look like it, the frogs and the flowers were made from the same Bali print fabric.
Directions for the Frog Quilt:
1/2 yard Bali print fabric I chose a multi-colored blue, green, pink and yellow print and positioned the pattern pieces on different areas of the fabric to get the multi-colored effect.
1 yard print fabric that compliments the Bali print fabric
1/2 yard of white fabric
1/2 yard of gold fabric
Heat and Bond
1. Trace frogs and flowers of your choice onto a piece of tracing paper. Trace the pattern that you just made onto a piece of Heat and Bond.
2. Pre-wash and dry all of the quilt fabrics. Fuse the frogs and flowers onto the Bali print fabric following the manufacturers instructions. When fusing place the wrong side of the fabric face up on the ironing board and lay the Heat and Bond piece on top of the fabric.
3. Cut a piece of white fabric 16 inches high by 14 inches wide. Place the frogs and flowers on the white fabric and fuse in place. I placed the frogs on opposite corners and the flowers along the center.
4. Cut two strips of gold fabric 2 inches wide by 19 1/2 inches long. Cut two more strips of gold 2 inches wide by 13 3/4 inches long. Sew the 13 3/4 inch strips to the sides of the white fabric using 1/4 inch seams. Next sew the 19 1/2 inch strips to the top and the bottom of the white fabric.
5. Cut two pieces of print fabric 17 inches long by 3 1/4 inches wide and two pieces 26 inches long by 3 1/4 inches wide. Sew the 17 inch strips to the gold borders at the top and bottom of the quilt. Then sew the 26 inch strips to the gold borders at the sides of the quilt using 1/4 inch seams.
6. Cut a piece of batting and a piece of print fabric three inches longer on all sides than the top of the quilt. Layer the quilt top, batting on top of the print fabric. The batting should be layered on top of the wrong side of the print fabric. Quilt the outline of the frogs and the flowers. Stitch around the gold borders. Trim the excess fabric and batting away. Cut two strips of print fabric 1 1/2 inches wide by 28 inches long and two strips 1 1'2 inches wide by 19 inches long. Fold in half lengthwise and press. Fold under 1/4 inch on the end of the binding and sew along the side edge of the quilt. Trim the excess fabric away leaving 1/4 inch of fabric to fold under. Fold the binding over the edge of the quilt and sew in place by hand along the back edges of the quilt. Repeat the process with the 19 inch strips, sewing them along the top and bottom of the quilt,