Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Robot Valentine's Day Card

I have so many projects going on that I have had little time to spend with my Cricut. Valentine's Day is quickly approaching and it's the perfect time to fire up the Cricut. I love making my own Valentine's Day cards because I am not limited to the design and message printed on a commercial card. Valentine's Day is the perfect opportunity to unleash your creativity! I wanted to do something different so I used the Robotz cartridge.




Close up of Robot

I always keep a lot of embellishments on hand for my projects. Embellishments can be expensive so look for sales and check the clearance aisles regularly and then stock up. After I cut the robot out, I grabbed several embellishments and laid them on my desk. I started laying them on the card until I had the design that I wanted.

Brittany recently asked how do I go about designing a card? The first thing that I do is to start with an idea of the main design element. Since I use Cricut cartridges to make most of my cards I usually decide on the image that I want to use and work from there. After I decide on an image the next thing is to determine the color scheme. For the Valentine's Day card we chose pink with grey accents. The next step is to have fun with the embellishments-place them on the card to see what works and what doesn't. Above all don't glue anything down until you are sure that this is finished design. I usually complete the design, leave it on my desk and walk away for awhile. When I return if I feel that the design doesn't need any changes then I glue the elements in place to complete the card.

Directions for Robot Valentine's Day Card:

Cricut Robotz cartridge
Cricut Paper Pups cartridge
White, light grey, black, light pink and medium pink card stock
Pink heart print card stock
Wilton heart shaped paper lace doily
Large pink self adhesive pearls
Recollections large white pearls
Stickles Ice stickles and platinum glitter glue
2 small black beads
Martha Stewart pink micro beads
Pink and white dotted sheer ribbon
Tattered Angels Pearl Glimmer Mist
Glue
Foam dots
Clear nail polish

1. Print the Valentine greeting using a card program and the half fold option on white card stock. Fold the card in half and crease along the fold.

2. Load the Cricut Robotz cartridge into the Cricut machine and cut Robot 10 at 3 1/2 inches out of medium pink card stock. Cut Robot base out of light grey card stock and Robot 10-s out of black card stock. Press the shift and layer keys to cut the eyes out of white card stock. Assemble the Robot. Spray the Robot lightly with Pearl Glimmer Mist and set aside to dry.

3. Cut the pink heart print card stock 4 1/2 inches long by 4 1/4 inches wide.

4. Glue the heart shaped doily to the center of the pink heart print card stock.

5. Attach the Robot to the center of the doily with foam dots.

6. Position the pink heart print card stock with the Robot about 2 1/2 inches from the top of the card, making sure that it is centered. Attach a pink self adhesive pearl to each corner of the pink heart print card stock.

7. Place a white self adhesive pearl over each of the wheels.

8. Load the Paper Pups cartridge into the Cricut machine. Select the Love Dog image. Press the dog and shift to cut the heart. Cut 2 hearts out of light pink card stock at 1 1/2 inches. Glue the open heart to the right and left of the Valentine's greeting. Apply Ice Stickles glitter glue to the hearts and set aside to dry.

9. Glue a small black bead to the center of the Robot's eyes. Apply Platinum Stickles to the Robot's left antennae.

10. Apply glue to the heart shape from the center of the open heart and cover it with Martha Stewart pink micro beads. Shake off the excess beads and cover the heart with clear nail polish to seal it. When the heart is dry attach it to the Robot with a foam dot.

11. Tie a small bow using the pink and white dotted sheer ribbon, center the bow just below the pink heart print card stock and glue in place.