Friday, October 5, 2012

Custom File Folders

In my continuing effort to reorganize my atelier, I purchased two of the Jet Max cubes from Michaels. I decided that a hanging file drawer and the three drawer cubes would give me a lot of useful storage and tuck neatly under my drafting table. The drawer for hanging files was a great idea! I imagined being able to store patterns and drawings from art projects and having them readily available when I needed them. The drawer went together easily and it even came with a package of six hanging file folders. I quickly filled up the six file folders so I reached for a box of standard hanging file folders from the office supply store. Then I discovered that the hanging bars on the file drawer were not standard ( they are wider than standard file drawers). I searched the Internet and ultimately found that the wider file folders could be purchased from Michaels but my Michaels doesn't carry them.

My search for the file folders indicated that a lot of people are still having trouble finding folders to fit the Jet Max file drawer. I decided to post my handmade file folders for those of you who want to make your own. The Jet Max file folders are 1/2 inch wider and three inches higher than the standard office supply store file folders. They are also lighter weight and not as sturdy as the standard file folders. My file folders are sturdier and can be made in any color to match your decor. The only drawback is that you need to use two file folders to make one finished hanging file folder.


Remove hanging bar from second file folder.

Open folder and lay flat with outside facing up.
Use a brayer to help the card stock stick to the file folder.
.                  
Fold the edge of the card stock over the hanging bars.
Score card stock 2 1/2 inches from the end.


Finished hanging file folder.




                                      Directions for Hanging File Folders:

Box of Standard Hanging File Folders- available at Office Supply Stores
X-Acto Knife or other craft knife
Glue or double stick tape- I used the Scotch ATG tape gun
Card stock- I used a blue and yellow print from DCWV Sorbet Stack. You will need 2 pieces of the same color or print to cover one file folder.
Brayer
Hot Glue Gun
Martha Stewart Scoring Board and Bone Folder


1.  Split the top edge of a file folder with the craft knife and remove the metal hanging bar. Repeat on the other edge to remove the other hanging bar.  Remove the hanging bars from the second file folder and carefully peel off the overlapping edge from the inside of the folder. Try not to damage the folder because this is the one that you will cover with card stock.

2.  Open the second file folder and lay it on the desk top with the outside of the folder facing up.

3.  Score a piece of card stock 2 1/2 inches from the edge of the card stock. I used the Martha Stewart Scoring Board to get a perfectly straight scored edge.

4.  Lay the card stock on top of the open file folder and center over the folder. The card stock will be slightly wider (approximately 1/8 inch on each side) than the file folder. Apply tape or glue to the file folder along the edges and across the middle. Align the card stock with the bottom edge of the file folder. center the card stock and press into place. Use a brayer over the card stock to assure that it adheres to the file folder.

5.  Position the metal hanging bars one on top another so that they create a 13 inch long hanging bar. Use the hot glue gun to glue them in place.

6.  Fold the card stock along the scored line and use a bone folder to crease it.

7.  Apply a thin layer of glue, with the hot glue gun, near the folded edge of the card stock. Position the hanging bar, that you just made, close to the folded edge of the card stock (on top of the hot glue) and press in place.

8.  Repeat these steps for the other side of the hanging file folder.