Thursday, September 13, 2012

Flapper Birthday Card

It's been quite a while since I have done a Cricut card. I saw the Art Deco cartridge this summer but wasn't sure if it contained enough useful images to justify buying the cartridge. The back of the  box only showed a sample of images from the cartridge and based on that sample there just wasn't enough to entice me to purchase the cartridge. I don't know why Cricut decided to show only a sample of images rather than showing all of the images available on the cartridge but I don't think it's a good marketing practice. In my case they almost lost a sale. Since I really liked the flapper, decorative elements and the Empire State Building, I decided to try to find the cartridge on line to see if I could view all of the images on the cartridge. After viewing all of the images I found quite a few that I really liked ( the Greyhound, bird, other buildings and people).

The past several weeks everything has taken precedence over my art projects. Since I'm in the process of reorganizing my Atelier, it is in a state of disarray and not very inviting. Last night I cleared off the drafting table so that I would have a place to work. Even though I don't like the ambiance I really needed to make a birthday card and the Art Deco cartridge was lying on my drafting table begging to be used. The Flapper is one of my favorite images on this cartridge and I thought that she would make a cute birthday card.






Here's the finished card. I added small stick on pearls to the strand around the Flapper's neck. After all, Is she really a Flapper without her her pearls? It was tedious to stick on each pearl but the result was worth it. When applying the pearls leave a small space between each one to mimic the way real pearls are strung.



Flapper Card Directions:

White, red, black beige and light grey card stock
Me and My Big Ideas Mambi Sheets Animal Print paper- black and white leopard print
Recollections Roses- light and dark grey
Recollections Self Adhesive pearls- small pearls
Peach and dark rose colored pencils
Artist Loft color pencil blender
Fine point black felt tip pen
Tattered Angels Pearl Glimmer Mist
Zots and Foam Dots


1.  Print a card greeting on the front and the inside of the card. Fold the card in half and crease.

2.  Using the Cricut Art Deco cartridge cut the flapper at 5 inches out of beige card stock. Press the Shift and Flapper keys and cut the clothes at 5 inches out of red card stock. Press the Layer and Flapper keys and cut the stockings and pearls out of white card stock. Next press the Layer, Shift and Flapper keys to cut the shoes and belt out of black card stock. Assemble the Flapper.

3.  Apply the self adhesive pearls to the necklace around the Flapper's neck.

4.  Color the Flapper's face and arms with the peach colored pencil. Use the color pencil blender to blend the skin tone. Apply a little dark rose colored pencil to the Flapper's cheek and lips. Use the black felt tip marker to draw her eye.

5.  Lightly spray the image with Pearl Glimmer Mist and let it dry.

6.  Cut a piece of light grey card stock approximately 5 1/4 inches high by 4 inches wide.  Center Flapper on the card stock and attach with small foam dots.

7.  Cut a piece of black and white leopard card stock approximately 6 inches high by 4 3/4 inches wide. Attach Zots to the back of the card stock. Center the card stock on the front of the card below the greeting and press in place. Attach Zots to the back of the grey card stock. Center the card stock on the leopard card stock and press in place.

8.  Glue a dark grey rose to the upper left corner of the leopard card stock and a light grey rose to the bottom right corner of the leopard card stock.