|Apron in progress. Picture was lightened to show detail.|
After I fuse the design to the garment I like to let it sit for a couple of hours to allow the Heat n Bond time to cool and adhere to the fabric before sewing around the edges of the design. Here is the project so far. I plan to add a few more elements to the design before it's finished.
Directions for Rock Princess Apron:
White cotton fabric-approximately an 8 inch square
Black cotton fabric-approximately an 8 inch square
Scrap of dark pink and light pink fabric squares-approximately 6 inch square
Heat n Bond fusible fabric web
Contrasting thread for stitching around the design
1. Iron all of the fabrics to remove wrinkles and set aside to cool. Cut Heat n Bond slightly smaller than the fabric square and fuse to the wrong side of the fabric, following the directions on the Heat n Bond package.
2. Place the black fabric on the Cricut mat fabric side down. Roll a brayer over the fabric to make sure that it sticks to the mat. Adhere the edges of the fabric to the mat with a strip of painter's tape. Load the Rock Princess cartridge and mat into the Cricut machine. Press the skull key and cut the skull at 5 inches. Repeat with the white fabric. Press Layer 1 and the Skull keys to cut the top layer of the skull. Place the dark pink and the light pink fabrics on the mat to cut the bow. Press Layer 1, Shift and the Skull keys to cut the bow base out of dark pink. Press Layer 2 and the Skull keys to cut the bottom part of the bow out of light pink fabric.
3. Position the skull base on the apron and fuse with a hot iron. Next place the white skull layer over the skull base and fuse. Finally fuse the dark pink bow and the lighter pink part of the bow in place.
4. Applique around the skull design with zig-zag stitch.
5. Cut a strip of dark pink fabric 2 times the length of the top of the apron and 3 inches wide. Fold the fabric in half (wrong sides together) and iron. Gather the fabric using a long or gathering stitch on the sewing machine, stitch approximately 1/2 inch from the bottom edge of the strip (the folded edge is the top of the ruffle). Stitch approximately 1/4 inch from the first row of stitching. Pull the threads to gather the strip into a ruffle. Adjust the ruffle and pin in place along the top edge of the apron so that about 1/2 inch of the ruffle is below the top edge of the apron. Stitch 1/4 inch below the top edge edge of the apron, using black thread. After the ruffle has been stitched to the apron, remove the basting stitches.