Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Decorative Pumpkin Bowl

Wow, I can't believe that it's the middle of October and I haven't posted a Halloween project. I want to share one of my favorite projects. Halloween is always a fun event in our house. We love the "spooky" decorations, baking bat cookies and of course greeting the neighbors as they come to our door on Halloween night. Keeping in the spirit of the holiday, I wanted a decorative bowl to hold the candy bars for our guests. You probably know where this is going! I searched several stores and Halloween shops without finding a suitable container. I had seen a cute pumpkin design, in a decorative painting book, that I had wanted to paint, so I bought a large stainless steel mixing bowl at Walmart. Then it was off to Michaels for some orange, white and green craft paint, black Krylon paint and some gesso. I chose only materials that were listed non-toxic on the label.

Since this is a painted bowl it should be used only for decorative purposes.  I like to line it with plastic wrap before placing wrapped candy bars in the bowl.



Directions for Pumpkin Bowl:

Large stainless steel mixing bowl
Plaid non-toxic craft paint- black, white, orange and green
Krylon spray- paint
Delta craft varnish-non-toxic and available at JoAnn
Paint brushes- round, filbert or shader and liner
Foam brush
Transfer paper
Embossing stylus
Fine steel wool (000 steel wool)

1.  Wash and dry the bowl. Once the bowl is completely dry, go over the surface with the 000 steel wool (both inside and out).

2.  Wipe the bowl with a damp paper towel to remove any residue.

3.  Use a foam brush to apply gesso to the inside and outside of the bowl. It may need 2 coats. Let it dry between coats.

4.  Once the bowl is dry spray it inside and outside with the Krylon black paint. Use the paint in a well ventilated room. I sprayed my bowl outside. Make sure that the paint completely covers the bowl.

5.  After the paint is dry, transfer the design to the bowl using transfer paper and an embossing stylus.

6.  Block in the shape of the pumpkins, using orange paint and after the paint is dry, paint in the faces with black paint. Add details and shading to the pumpkins and paint in the vines with green paint. Once the paint is dry, add details to the vines and paint the orange flowers. After the entire piece is dry, use white paint to paint in the details and highlights. Set aside to dry.

7.  Once the paint is thoroughly dry, use a foam brush to coat the bowl with the non-toxic craft varnish. I used 3 coats, letting it dry between each coat.