Recently, while I was out buying canvas for up coming projects I came across this interesting chalkboard sign. My first inclination was to pass on it because I don't find chalkboard signs that inspiring. The carving on this sign was beautiful and the subtle grey color just seemed to give the piece depth and character so I decided to buy it although I had no idea how I would use it.
Since the carving on the sign reminded me of architectural carvings from 18th century France, the piece should have a French theme. All of the embellishments used to create the sign are things that remind me of France- Chat Noir, lavender colored flowers, and of course the Eiffel Tower.
|Finished Chalkboard Sign|
|Close up of Eiffel Tower|
Directions for Chat Noir Chalkboard Sign:
SVG Cuts Maple Manor cutting file-Chat Noir image
Recollections Paper Flowers and Purple Rose
Martha Stewart Leaf Paper Punch
EK Success Fleur de Lys Paper Punch
Olive green and black card stock
Recollections Sophia 8x8 inch card stock pad- light purple and grey
Paris SVG cutting file- Silhouette Store
Recollections small self adhesive pearls
Recollections spray ink- light purple
Miss Kate's Cuttables Flower print and cut file
Tim Holtz Distress Ink Vintage Photo
Recollections Chalkboard Sign
Cricut French Manor Cartridge-Eiffel Tower
Swiss Dots embossing folder
1. Resize Chat Noir to 4 inches in height for the cat and slightly larger for the outline and whiskers. Cut both the cat and the outline out of black card stock using the Maple Manor SVG file. Glue a scrap of yellow card stock behind the cat's eyes and use a black marker to make the pupils. Glue the outline to the cat.
2. Cut the Paris title to measure 4 1/2 inches in length out of light purple card stock. Distress the card stock with the distress ink.
3. Cut the Eiffel Tower 5 inches high, using the French Manor cartridge. Emboss the tower with the Swiss Dots embossing folder. Distress the tower with distress ink. Cut the flourish across the tower out of light purple card stock and use the distress ink around the edges.
4. Print and cut a small flower using the dimensions given for the flower cutting file. Distress the cut flower with distress ink.
5. Spray the paper flowers with purple ink to give them more depth of color.
6. Punch a fleur de lys out of the grey card stock and distress with distress ink. Punch 7 leaves with the leaf paper punch, using the olive card stock.
7. Attach the Paris title to the chalkboard using foam dots. Apply a small pearl to the top of the tower in the "A" and to the fleur de lys dotting the "I".
8. Glue the flowers around the left upper corner of the chalkboard sign, Place 2 paper flowers in the center and 3 roses on the ends (2 on the left end and one on the right). Glue (the 4) leaves under the edges of the flowers.
9. Glue the butterfly to the upper right corner of the sign.
10. Use foam dots to attach the Eiffel Tower to the lower right side of the sign. Glue the flourish over the center of the tower. Place Chat Noir in the middle of the tower so that his tail hangs just below the base of the right leg of the tower. Glue the print and cut flower behind the cat. Glue the fleur de lys at the base of the lower on the lower left side. Glue a purple rose just above the fleur de lys and glue the leaves under the edges of the rose.
11. Attach small pearls to the fleur de lys and the ends of the flourish.